Sunday, June 26, 2011

Street Poetry

I took this poetry writing workshop over a decade ago, and one of the useful things I learned was a techniques called street poetry. It requires paying attention to your surroundings and tuning in to what folks are saying.  Sometimes there are really great snippets, and other times it is hard to find anything worth listening in on.  You take all of these bits and pieces, and try to make poetry.  Give it a try.

Mistrust of instructors was the other nugget of knowledge from that workshop - the dude said he'd critique our poems and give suggestions on getting publish. Instead, he collected a bunch of our work and never gave it back. I've been on the lookout for a few of my pieces ever since...

Point is, I encountered a variety of statements over the weekend. I wasn't really sure what to do with them.  A random collection of thoughts is all we really have most days. Here's mine for what it's worth.

"So, I told this homeless guy. You should give me money because your net worth is probably greater than mine. I'm like -$435,000."

"He's such a good kid, I just want to take him home with me."

"I'm going through some mental health things of my own."

"Thanks for taking the time to connect the dots like that for me."

"Stupid people. There are just so many stupid people."

"That's great. You walk in and I'm touching my breast."

"Did you see xkcd?"

"Wuve u."

No comments:

Post a Comment