Monday, June 20, 2011

Capacitor.

As in Flux Capacitor. You know, from Back to the Future...Michael J. Fox...the oh-so-cool DeLorean. Either way, when I mentioned the name of my blog to my partner, this is what he said to me, "Flux? Flux capacitor?" It took me a moment to realize what he was referencing. I did eventually figure it out.  I told you I was married to a machine lush.  

This movie memory reinforced that men and women do seem to think about the world differently. We may get to the same place eventually, but the path that we take is often very different. (There is much to write on this subject, but I'll leave that for another time.) It also made me think about the phrase - Back to the Future.  We often define ourselves as independent women, capable of multitudes, but relapse into old roles with certain people. Think about it. Do you act a certain way around current friends versus friends from college (or even high school)? Do you resort to your teen/young adult ways around particular family members? (Think back to last Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Chanuka - whichever) When you are in these situations do you feel like Marty McFly? Desparate to find a way to transport yourself back to the future?  Are you looking for Doc Brown to arrive out of no where to rescue you?

I believe in a lot of science, but the chance of a plutonium-powered sports car appearing to carry you away is slim. Very slim. There is a higher likelihood that you can do something about the situation alone or with support from people who care about you.  It often comes down to how prepared you are to manage these situations. Reverting to certain roles is often a safety mechanism. A comfort zone. We know what works with certain people and groups, so we stick with it. Even when it does not work for us. Personal ideals and traits may sink into the background. Enduring is not living a fulfilled life.  Maybe we need to learn from Marty, and do something to intervene in the past so we can make the future better.

Do something different. Be yourself.

Just don't name any of your children Biff. Really. Biff?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment